View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Web design question: frames?

[ QUOTE ]
Are they going to handle the redesign of the site?

Tell the committee that using frames in today's web is like doing open heart surgery when you could have done it laproscopically instead. They both may get the job done, but forcing frames on a user is clubbing a woman over the head and dragging her back to your cave instead of buying her a nice dinner & wine.

Seriously looking over those websites in Campus Grid's portfolio I would have guessed they were built by a high school student for a class project instead of by a paid company. Not only is it coded ghetto-style (with frames) but the actual design of most of the sites is pretty ugly too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. One of pages on the long, slow-loading flash page shows how you can customize the page and aren't limited to the template. But what it shows is a professionally designed page that is loaded in a frame. It also touts the ability to directly launch a PDF, which is an atrocious thing to do in a website. (Much better to have a link to the PDF.)

CampusGrid seems like it was launched a long time ago, but the entire school district uses it. It's expensive ($599 for a whole school district? How much would that cost at Godaddy.com?) and, because it's old, the templates look like crap. However, the templates are supposedly easy to change.

It's funny because I was compiling my list of complaints about the current website, but it seems that many of my complaints are touted as "features" by campusgrid.