View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: ** Lounge Poker Talk **

first, decide whether you want to try full ring or 6 max. Full ring is usually easier IMO. I'll give you some preflop hand ranges and pointers then.

Then you gotta decide whether you're playing short or fullstacked (I mean 40BB-60BB rather than 100BB; I don't mean shortstacking, but that is an option for you).

Next pick a level to start at. I'd suggest nl25, as it's the lowest level the game actually is anything like a real poker game. nl10 is just waiting for good hands and killing the tards - it's not very good for learning.

let me know what you want to dip into, and I'll give you some pointers.

I mod the Full Ring NL forum, btw. There's also a Limit>NL forum under the Limit section at the moment.

Also, books worth considering are:

Phil Gordon: Little Green Book (though ignore his starting hand guides, they don't suit online games)
No Limit: Theory and Practice
Professional No Limit Holdem

The last 2 will make your head swim at first reading, but you do need these books.

Last: Limit is about good cards and small edges. No Limit is much, much more about implied odds and waiting for the goodies, and betting to make people get poor odds (and to some degree making decisions as easy as possible for yourself). To illustrate: If as an NL player, you give me the choice of playing AA UTG, or 88 on the button in a full buyin, 9-handed game, I prefer the latter. If I have 60BB, or it's 6-max, I much prefer the former. Why, because people usually have to have a better hand than AA to dump 100BB at FR, but that isn't the case when the stack is 60BB, or when you're playing aggro 6-handed.

Also, Cry Me A River did a huge post detailing all the good threads in 2+2, look for it in the Full Ring Forum.