View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: KK when an ace flops and I get bet into

[ QUOTE ]
But there certainly is some merit in raising.
We’re heads-up and I posted so perhaps he may assume I’m 3-betting a bit lighter which makes him cap lighter as well.
If I raise the flop, I’m basically saying “your bet doesn’t scare me”. But if I raise and I have him beat, he’ll just fold, and that’s not good…

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. When you're ahead, you've got villain crushed. Folding him out when he was willing to give action is very bad.

[ QUOTE ]
But on the other hand if he has me beat he’ll re-raise. That’ll make me fold and saves me some big bets on the turn and river. But if he just calls (perhaps with an AQ?), then I’ll lose some more bets on the bigger streets…

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Raising may actually cost you more if villain is cagey. If I were villain and I had AK and you raised my flop bet, I would frequently call your raise, check-call the turn, and bet the river. Or maybe I would call the flop raise and check-raise the turn. Not all villains are going to be friendly enough to instantly 3-bet the flop for you.

Sometimes raising the flop works out against a predictable opponent. For example, you might be able to raise the flop, check the turn, and call a river bet (or bet the turn and check down on the river). That gets you to showdown for 2 BBs instead of the 2.5 BBs it costs you to get to showdown using call-call-call.

Generally, though, call-call-call is going to be a better line. It might cost you an extra SB when you lose, but it will frequently gain a couple of extra BBs when villain has QQ or JJ.