View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 25 or 50NL - Couple of useful strategy questions/discussions

[ QUOTE ]

Typical scenarios: You're on the button and 2-3 limps to you.

Obviously raising the field with a premium hand like AK/AQ+ is best.

What about suited connectors/one gappers. Is it ok in this situation to limp along and see a flop multi-way.

Hands that you might raise in position on a passive table to isolate a single limper like QTo, KTo. Best to throw those away?
What about a hand like KJo or KQo. Not really hands that you want to play multiway, but they seem to be marginal hands to raise the field with. Raise anyway to try to get it heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with limping behind SCs when you have good implied odds and little FE.

with KT-KQ i generally think you are going to make money by getting involved as long as you are sensible when you have top pair multiway. i think raising it up really helps if there is a reasonable chance of getting HU and there is a reasonable chance of taking it down with a cbet. you don't have to win the pot preflop for raising to be a better move.

[ QUOTE ]

If this is the typical scenario, isn't it then +EV for your opponent in the big blind and in position to raise any flop and put you to the test. If you have a big hand, you stick half your stack in the middle and he gets away. You're going to fold most of the time. If he happens to have a huge hand like 2pr or a set against your overpair, he's going to stack you.

[/ QUOTE ]

what you are talking about is standard aggressive play - it's the equilibrium situation for NLHE. Fortunately few people do this, and it would be massively spewy to assume otherwise without a read. I think the standard 50nl player has lighter calling standards in the BB BvB but rarely will they make a bluff raise. Just play your hands and maybe tighten up a bit (its fine to fold weak aces for example).