View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

I really don't mind throwing Sokou at Machida. The argument that it could end up being a no-win situation is definitely valid, but there's a couple things that I disagree with.

First off, we have no clue if Sokou is even for real. Just like Alexander, the only thing we know is that this guy is built like a truck, has a judo pedigree, and hits like there's bricks in his gloves. While this is all true, he still lost to Glover Teixeira a year ago. I'm assuming the UFC ponied up a bit of cash (Sokou turned down a deal he thought was insulting shortly after the Pride acquisition), so you're risking him having a poor showing or losing to a fighter like...Mike Nickels or somebody like him.

Second, one of the few things the UFC has continued to do well is build up fights. From UFC 78 'til Dec. 29th, you're going to see Sokoudjou knock out Arona and 'Lil Nog 50 times a day. You're gonna hear Dana White and Joe Rogan talk about the impressive undefeated streak of Lyoto Machida. They're gonna push this fight being on the biggest card of the year.

The thing I worry about most is this being a "boring" fight, which is always a concern given Machida's style. If this fight ends up with 15 minutes of Lyoto avoiding Sokou's takedowns/throws and stick and moving, I feel the no-win aspect of it comes into play.