View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping Cam Cameron's name wouldn't come up (as a serious candidate that is). Hoping against hope, that the new coach was an outsider. For those in the know, will money be a factor? Are we prepared to pay top dollar? I know we'll never pay Saban type money, but I hope we don't do this on the cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is/was a concern, as there was a certain sense before that we'd pay less because great coaches would want to come here and take less money for the privilege of coaching Michigan. That won't happen now. Martin's paying big bucks for Beilein and basketball is very encouraging. I'm not expecting 5 mil/year or anything, but we'll pay. Of course if Miles really wants the job, as is almost certainly the case, we can probably get him cheaper. That'd be an interesting negotiation, with Michigan knowing Miles desperately wants to coach Michigan but nevertheless being at a top job where it should theoretically take a ton to pry him away.

As far as outsiders, I don't really care. I mean, no one from the current staff because no one is qualified yet (someone like Loefler or English could be down the road). Miles has a Michigan pedigree, but he's spent time in the Big12, SEC, and NFL. It's not total inbreeding here.

Mind you, we're going to be pissed off at something the new coach does, whoever it is, and quite frankly it's going to be hard to find someone who does a substantially better than Carr in terms of overall record, but at least it's time for a new set of things to be frustrated about.