View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Am I a tard for not wanting to go to grad school?

First, thanks to everyone who replied. It's kind of a relief to see I'm not alone with this.

Since there was generally the same responses from everyone, I'm just to clip out quotes and respond where appropriate.

[ QUOTE ]
From everything I've read regarding grad school, there is pretty much 0 reason to go if you're not 100% committed to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, it's possible u might not be accepted into a lot of places with ur current GPA

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was thinking--from what I can see, you can forget about it with pretty much any GPA below 3.00. I didn't think there was much point in going given that and my lack of enthusiasm for grad school.

[ QUOTE ]
I was trying to say that settling for 45k when you could go to grad school and get 80k seemed surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, as it stands now, getting accepted seems unlikely, and apparently finishing even if I do get in is also unlikely. What's the point if I spend a year or two floating around aimlessly, earning a salary maybe a third of what I would get otherwise, when I may not get anything in return? If just getting in is an issue, staying in and earning a master's is going to be a bigger one.

That being said, if I get a job and five years down the road, whoever I'm working for wants to send me back to school, I'd love to do that if I feel better about school at that point. But I am burned out at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of jobs for math majors (look into consulting, actuarial work, Wall St., etc) that pay good money (or at least better than 45k/yr).

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, $45K is just the average. Thank you, though, for the advice about possible careers; I have taken (very brief) looks at financial market and actuarial jobs already. Consulting is something I will look into as well.

[ QUOTE ]
The advantage of having a math major is that it's clear that you know how to think and analyze. The disadvantage is that people may think you're socially retarded, so you'll have to show them otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will certainly keep this in mind.