View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Gambling Addiction

[ QUOTE ]
Then explain how it is that guys like Brunson, Negreanu, Ivey, Lindgren, et al basically gamble on everything they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because people gamble that doesn't mean they are addicted. I've played cards almost every day for the last 15 years but I'm not an addict. Addicted implies a lack of agency or control over their choices. I enjoy gambling. I gamble a lot. I don't feel any compulsion to gamble though so I'm not an addict. This last Sunday I did not like any of the NFL games so I had zero action. An addict would have forced a bet on something.

Anyone who is an addict is, by definition, not in control. Someone who is not in control can never be a long term successful gambler. I don't know the people listed personally so I can't be 100% certain, but everything I do know about them, implies that they are in full control of their choices.

I had been playing at a B&M with a group of guys and then we decided to go out to a bar. While we were getting cleaned up and pre-drinking at one of their houses we started playing fooseball for $1k a game. Guy #1 lost $11k to Guy #2. After 2 games it was clear Guy #1 had no chance of winning vs Guy #2. Both were doing the same act but Guy #2 was a smart gambler while Guy #1 is an addict.