View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 9, Hand Reading

This is a great post, ldo. Once you can put villains on ranges of hands, you're entire poker world opens up. Now you can maximize value, get cheap showdowns, etc. etc. Too many people raise with QQ flop an over card and cbet into 4 people because they were told that you cbet when you miss the flop.

I played a home game with my uncle and his friends about a month ago (took down that 2 table mtt) and he commented how his friend is a good poker player and can put people on hands. Anyway, he raised with KK (can't remember the raise but it wasn't big enough) and got 4 callers. The flop was A62 and he led out from the sb into 4 callers. He got 2 calls. A blank hit the turn and he led out again at least half the pot got 2 callers, then checked the river and showed KK. I lost all respect for his game there. Any good player is pretty much check/folding this vs 4 donkeys on an Ace high board.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is alot of people fall into the routine of cbeting with a hand that has showdown value or betting when their hand is more of a bluff catcher (2nd pair). Instead of thinking what your opponent has, how he plays people will just go to the automatic cbet or check. So I guess the moral of my post is, take the time to put someone on a hand range, post flop aggression factor, and execute the best play.