View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical bet on the golf course involving throwing a football.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a minor departure, but does anyone ever translate feet to yards when they see them on street or highway signs and think that the number is off? E.g. there is a freeway sign here in town that says "Cactus Rd., 1500 feet". It's kinda weird because on the whole length of the freeway there isn't another sign that isn't in miles. It's like they felt like being super accurate because if they put "1/4 mile" or whatever and it was just a little bit off people would get in accidents or something.

Anyway...1500 feet = 500 yards. I find myself looking at that sign every time and thinking there's no damned way that's a par-5 in distance. More like a reachable par-4. Either signs like this are off a lot of the time, or I'm not scaling distances properly when I'm looking at them.

Weird rant, sorry. Carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this all the time. In my line of work, there's always one reason or another to estimate distances of 50 to a few hundred yards. I usually decide what club I'd need to get there, or if I could hit driver that far and then translate that into a yardage guess.

I'm usually within 20-30 yards from 200 to 300 yards.

From 100 yards and in I'm pretty pissed when I'm off by 10 yards.