View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: jokes you\'ve made IRL that flopped

[ QUOTE ]
This is more of a prank than a joke but I'll tell it anyway. Cliff's notes at bottom.

When I was in high school, I was sort of a computer nerd. One day I was at school after hours hanging out with a couple of friends - I think we were there for a basketball game and got there early or something - and we decided to wander around the school while nobody was around. We got to the school library and one of my friends told me that I should "put a virus" on the library computers. This sounded like a great idea so I fired up QBasic and wrote a quick program that printed text that stated that the computer was infested by demons that were brought upon the library by the Satanic influence of Mrs. Ward, the school librarian. (Keep in mind that this was a private Christian school so it was topical...) The program then went into an infinite loop, making really obnoxious sounds on the PC speaker. It only took me about 2 minutes. I then added a line to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to cause the "virus" to run when the computer started up. We then went back to the basketball game or whatever.

The next day at school, there was a big commotion in the library. My classmates and I stepped out of class to see what was happenning. I saw Mrs. Ward in tears, wildly mumbling to herself while the principal tried to console her. Turns out she was mentally unstable and what I thought was a light-hearted prank pushed her over the edge. She took a leave of absence from the school and didn't come back until the following school year. I felt really terrible about it, but nobody ever found out that I did it.

Also, it was amusing to me that it took the school "computer expert" several hours to figure out how to get rid of the "virus." All you had to do was press Ctrl-C to exit the program and then edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Whatever.

Cliff's notes: I wrote a computer program that caused the school librarian to have a mental breakdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, use your powers for the forces of Awesome.