View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why GOT is going on and on in this thread like it was a single insult or mean act that was the final straw that pushed her over the edge. It was a cold, calculated mindfuck of a girl who on top of her other problems probably had terrible self-esteem because of her weight at a time when being accepted by her peers is at an all-time high.

The thing is, most people just want to know that they're desired and OK for being who they are. Particularly at that age. This fake account came along and made her feel wanted and allowed her to delude herself into thinking that someone out there thought she was beautiful. Then the rug was pulled out from under her in a way that seems about as cruel as possible. I honestly have to wonder if GOT even read the article with the way he is responding.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did read the article. I agree that the extent and intent behind what they did makes this a more despicable act. But I don't agree that effort-put-into should be the metric that determines degrees of moral responsibility. You either agree that people's actions are their own and that you and I have nobody to blame for voluntary acts we commit other than ourselves, or you don't. Whether a cruel act takes ten seconds or ten days doesn't change philosophy. It can make what they did more cruel and morally despicable, but there isn't some magic barrier of time or effort that suddenly changes the principle.