View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: The rake is unacceptable

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love how whenever someone makes a post like this complaining about high rake they are automatically a loser who deserves ridicule. I personally believe that the rake at most major sites could be cut by 30% or so without any major loss in revenue for the site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I did too.
Very few players make their choice of games or even sites based on the rake.
If Stars or FT or whatever other site reduced their rake by 30% their loss of revenue would be very close to that same 30%. They might attract some rake-aware and nitty players who to make up for some of that deficit though. So I guess it's possible that a 30% reduction of rake across the board at a given site would only lead to a 25% loss of revenue.

How anyone can think that a 30% cut in rake would not lead to a loss of revenue for that site is somewhat beyond me. You do realize that the site's make their revenue from the rake alone for the most part, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
What I find very strange is that the sites do not try to compete with each other. The donks waffle on endlessly about rigged flops, but how often does anybody consider that there may actually be some kind of evil price fixing monopoly at work here? Based on the service they provide the amount they take in rake is just robbery IMO.

The statement "I personally believe that the rake at most major sites could be cut by 30% or so without any major loss in revenue for the site." may not quite be correct, but does anybody disagree with:

"I personally believe that the rake at most major sites could be <font color="red">cut by 90%</font> <u>and still leave a viable and profitable business for the site.</u>"

A simple comparison of with online MMORPG games makes it blindingly obvious the sites are making vastly more than they deserve or need. Think of all the skilled coders, artists, story developers, modelers, mods, etc, etc needed to make and run a modern MMORPG. If WOW wanted to use the same rippoff pricing model as poker sites do and considering the fact that they need to employ many times more skilled workers; I think a weekly subscription to WOW would be about $10,000!

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]