View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Rep Steven Cohen from Tenn goes off

I was trying to get them all done before dinner. I wasn't sure what I thought about Annie Duke being the person but I think she held her own, she did come off as flippant to me at first. I also thought Goodlatte got the best of her later in the session.

Steve Cohen more or less pointed to the fact that we are hypocrites in the fact that we have a culture that embraces so much of gambling (he referenced the publishing of sports lines in the paper) yet it is like the elephant in the room for many people.

The meetings in general were pro our side and there was a lot of discussion about the effect the bill has had on the WTO proceedings and that by doing away with the UIEGA (I have no idea if that is right) would bring the US into compliance.

Goodlatte argued for states rights while Annie argued for regulation (she got in some talking points but overall I think Goodlatte got the best of her on this point).

I know Barry G. said he thought this would all be legal within 6 months and clearly we are making some headway. It is very clear we have some people on our side compared to no one previously.

One thing I thought was interesting was the length they went to in saying that gambling on the internet is not illegal and that the only people doing anything wrong are the people taking bets. It has long been my opinion that this is not about poker at all, it is about sports betting and unfortunately Frank's bill doesn't address this problem well.