View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Razz - Thin value bets on 6th and 7th

[ QUOTE ]
[ They really mean "+EV" and "-EV" but saying "correct" and "incorrect" instead is just part of poker-speak at this point, so I would try to get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]Then I believe you are making a big mistake as a teacher. Language is the most powerful invention in the history of humankind. And the connotations of language are as meaningful, and sometimes more meaningful, to a person as the "literal" intended, situational meaning.

If you want to breed a generation of poker players trapped inside a box of rules, just keep supporting the "correct" and "incorrect" language. The issue in poker, the largest issue, is always psychological and it feels quite safe to believe one can always knows what to do in every situation. And so we could do what is "correct" and then, as we lose and lose to those not being so correct, we can tell ourselves it was OK to lose because I did the CORRECT thing.

Language is everything and this language is dangerous to anyone wanting to really become a player. IMH, linguistically erudite, O. I'll keep fighting it, SG, else these threads may just become a fish farm of well-trained and perfectly predictable future victims.