View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

[ QUOTE ]
That brings up something that's bothered me about x-platform development on PC and X360: WHY ARE DEVS NOT MAKING 360 GAMES MODDABLE? Xbox Live is a dynamic platform which could infinitely extend the lifetime of any game by, say, freely distributing a level editor or SDK or whatever on PC. People could then make their own levels or mods or what have you and submit them to the developers, who could (with minimal effort) perform quality control on whatever people are submitting and put the best submissions up for free download on Xbox Live, thus infinitely extending the life of their product with no work on their part. WHY IS THIS A BAD IDEA? HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT DOING THIS ALREADY???

As much as I love HD gaming it [censored] kills me that when I buy a 360 game I'm pretty much getting what's in the box and nothing more (with the exception of a DLC pack or two down the road for more popular titles). PC gaming allows for so much extensibility by the user community and the foundation is there for this to happen on 360 as well, but NONE OF THE DEVELOPERS ARE [censored] USING IT. Bungie is taking a step in the right direction by including Forge in Halo 3 but there's only so much you can do with that, and using the same kind of PC tools (yes, even if they might scare some of the noobs with technical complexity) will result in much better work done by the community.

[/ QUOTE ]

So so so so true. Map editing is part of what made SC so great.