View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: putting together a reasonable system for 3bet pots

i am not the hero in all of those examples. some of it is a bit constructed. i defend my blinds with 3bets at a much lower than average frequency. its very rare that i would run a fish out of a 3way pot with 22-66 type things.

for the most part, my 3betting ranges are very tight, especially oop. sometimes, due to my image and other players involved though, 3betting with atc is so obviously profitable that i will do it with any sort of a hand purely for pf FE. should i actually see a flop, then i have to determine if its profitable to take another course other than just giving up, which is sometimes kind of hard to determine.

as far as bet sizing goes, i'm not really sure how i feel about it. i know its popular to go with smaller bets in inflated pots, but when you're oop, sometimes its tempting not to, just because of stack sizes.

for instance, without getting into too much detail lets say that i 3bet a CO raiser from the BB and get called. when the flop comes out, my range could be roughly separated into 3 categories:

a)high showdown value - i want to get all my money in with this hand

b)marginal showdown value - how i proceed with this hand depends on a lot of different things

c)low showdown value - i probably won't win without bluffing

obviously i will have low or marginal showdown value much more often than i will have high showdown value. if there is $30 in the pot, and i bet $20-$22, villain may figure it profitable to shove over my bet on a high percentage of boards so long as he is at least slightly live. if i bet $30-$35, villain may figure that i can only fold a hopeless hand at that point, preventing him from making the steal. this would increase pots won without showdown when betting with low showdown value hands (or at least the portion of those hands that would be bet for balance), while hurting value gained from high showdown value hands and committing your stack with a lot of marginal showdown value hands.