View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Ask buriedbeds about losing 200 lbs (very, very long)

[ QUOTE ]
Did you experience any knee or leg problems? Shin Splits, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I was, for the most part, OK. I'm lucky in that I did this young and am naturally fairly physically strong. I was in terrible, terrible shape, but I think I probably have a very resilient body relative to a lot of people, knock on wood. Now, did I have any pain? Sure - it hurts like hell when you start using muscles again that you haven't used in a long time. But your body adapts. I think mine was quite good at it.

[ QUOTE ]
My dad is overweight and even had triple bypass heart surgery last year because he eats like sh.it but he has bad knees and it's hard for him to walk or run anymore. What do you suggest I tell him to do to get off his ass as I'm concerned for his health as he's a diabetic as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I hate to say this, but there is nothing you are going to say that will have long-lasting effects for him. It never worked when people said things to me, it doesn't work when I say things to my mom, who's also overweight. It absolutely MUST come from the person. And it can't even come from them because they want to do it for you. You need to want it for yourself, and you need to want it bad. I bottomed out. I did not and do not do this for anyone but me.

But if it's something that he wants to do, he should look into water aerobics, as suggested, or swimming, or walking in moderation, which maybe he could do until he gets sore and then quit - his body will most likely adapt and get better at it with time. There's a tape called "walking off the pounds" that's supposed to be quite good. Really, he should just do ANYTHING. Grab a couple of dumbbells (or a small kettlebell) and through them around while he's sitting on the couch watching tv. Get a swiss ball and do some low-impact exercises on it. Maybe some pilates. Or just park further from the store when he goes out, or take the stairs instead of the elevator. Start SMALL, start MANAGEABLE. No more than 1/2 an hour, if that's what he can do. If it's something he can enjoy, all the better. One mistake that people often make is in thinking that they have to start out running marathons. That's bs. You do what you can until you're tired. When that's not enough, you do a little more. It snowballs over time, and eventually you are where you want to be.

Diet-wise, I firmly believe from my experience, my uncle's experience and the fact that it used to be the primary treatment for the condition before the ADA and pharmaceutical companies came around peddling drugs, that low-carb diets are the way to go for Diabetes, which is a terrible, terrible thing to have. I know it must be frustrating for you, but believe me, it's awful for him. Best of luck.

-bb.