View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: The Economy, Lounge Style

Thank you Borodog and twoplease for your explanations and taking time to answer all my questions. This is a lot for me to digest and I'm going to have to go back and re-read some of your posts. Unfortunatley I'm not very quick to pick up on these concepts even after you explain them to me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

These comments have me a little puzzled:

- "Very strong spending is a bad thing, not a good thing."

- "Employment and wages are up....not necessarily a good thing."

but I guess that you are saying that these indicators, when taken into account with other troubling factors, are not necessarily a sign of good times to come. (Also from my end of it let me just say that wages are not "up". Salary raises are in no way keeping up with the cost of living.)

Like I said, I need to reread all the replies in this thread. Right now I am wondering what a recession will mean to me personally as well as to our country and its standing in the world. I'm not sure if these things have been addressed by Borodog already and I don't mean to disrespect him by not fully reading his posts as he may have already addressed this. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But here are some things specifically that are on my mind this morning as I get ready for work and worry about the state of my bank account:
Given a recession may be in the near future, should I take my money and invest in bonds now? Should I be buying some real estate? Should I cancel my trip to Europe next summer as the dollar is so weak and it might be just downright foolish? How long is this recession thing going to last, a year? A decade? (Am I an idiot to be worrying about all this stuff right now and would I be better off concentrating on what's for lunch?)