View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, while I do think your taste needs work, it is not hopeless by any means. I've gotten people who've displayed much less potential into much better music

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so wrong. Nobody has better taste than anyone else, that's the essence of taste. If he wants to listen to stuff you don't like, that's up to him isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The everlasting debate. I tend to think of it like Nath does, but I'm very aware of the importance of interpretation and personal taste. In the Norwegian jazz scene, as well as others I guess, there's a lot of "jazz police" defining what's hip and what's not, and I definately don't want to become that kind of person. Still I think, at least on some level, that there is also some kind of measureable quality in music. In that regard, music is very special imo, in that so many non-knowledgeable people claim the same expertise to judge good vs bad music. I know that sounds kind of elitist, and I'm not saying it to be a dick about it. I just think it's funny how little credit musicians and people with a broad musical knowledge get from people that really don't know that much. I know that the personal taste thing makes music pretty uncomparable to other subjects, but it would be kind of like me telling a great chef how to make a dish I knew nothing about, solely based on my personal inexperienced taste.

Another angle is how we value music. I think musicians/composers/afficionados value music much higher than average Joe, so just based on that alone, I think they should get more credit. I mean, how can someone that doesn't really LOVE music truly understand the quality and beauty of it? I hear people talking about how great some music is, and how other music suck, and when they put on a record they don't even listen to it. Listening is another aspect. It requires dedication and training, and can be done on so many different levels. How could I value the musical opinion of someone that doesn't really listen, but want music that is "easy listening" enough that they won't get distracted while doing other things? I'm not saying they aren't entitled to enjoying music in their own way, by all means, I just react when(/if - some are more humble) they refuse to acknowledge that there are different levels of involvement and expertise when it comes to music.

Just for the record, I respect that other people like different music, but if the music they listen to lack musical quality I think to myself that with more musical knowledge they would not like it. I think that's kind of what Nath was getting at. It's basically a well meaning thought, like "oh, I wish he could learn to enjoy this beautiful music". And even with music I don't like, I will credit another guy's opinion much more if he was knowledgeable wrt the musical style and really dedicated.

I also confess to not liking music that probably is good, either because it doesn't match my personal taste (i still acknowledge the quality of the music/performance), or because I lack knowledge. I have experienced many times that I've disliked music, and years later learnt to appreciate or even come to love the music, because of my personal musical development. In the same way I totally respect other people not liking whatever I like. (un)Fortunately, that doesn't stop me from wanting to share excellent music with other people, hoping that they will learn to appreciate it.

/end rambling

PS
This is not directed at anyone in particular, and is not a judgement of the music mentioned by anyone.