View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are many hundreds of 2p2ers in their 20s who are earning $100 - $500/hour online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call serious BS on that statements. There are not hundreds of 20 something 2p2ers earning the equivalent of $200,000 to $1,000,000 a year online (assuming they are playing the equivalent of a full-time job).

Try maybe 10. And for those that can do this over a 8-10 year span, perhaps 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought I'd pipe in here...

golf - you're applying your perception of what it is to "make a good living" universally, and you really cant do that.

Perhaps you haven't had as much luck in poker as much of the rest of 2+2, but it really isn't very hard to make 200k+ per year. And once you have done that, if you have the discipline, it is very easy to continue earning that kind of $.

On top of that - With all of this extra money you've made, you can invest, start side businesses, etc. As a poker player you are very used to taking calculated risks, and you can apply this skill to almost every other area of your life. You are also used to surviving off of nothing more than your own effort - something that scares the hell out of most of the middle class.

I'm sure your career has worked out well for you, but your path is not necessarily the best universally.

I will agree with you though, that the skillset that you develop to play poker professionally does not help you very much in the "real world". It definitely prepares you for the mental ups-and-downs of being self-employed, or investing, but another set of skills is definitely needed if you want to be employable. ****The players who are capable of making 200k+/yr (mostly) realize this and use their wealth to create more options for themselves**** A couple of the people who have contributed to this thread would fall under that category.

And for this type of player, (bankroll conscious, long-term winner, invests extra money) the risk of going bust is not even close to the risk an "average joe" has of being laid off. Especially someone with a job requiring a very narrow set of skills who is not easily re-employed (dye-casting for example).
Just my 2c.