View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: becoming a market wizard

[ QUOTE ]
What's he going to get out of a Series 7? That sounds like more of an impediment than a help.

edit: to answer the OP a bit, most online brokerages have a minimum of $1000 to $2000 so you should check around and consider that minimum to be your initial savings target.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP,and any beginning investors:

1.The series 7 books wont do much beyond preparing you to be a broker.If that is your goal..you cant just take the test alone..you MUST be associated with a BD.(I am assuming you do not have a degree in finance or college education with a prospective leading you into this field already)If the BD sponsers you AND you pass the test,you most likely will work under a senior broker...until you open enough accounts to go on your own.
You will probably start off cold-calling prospective clients,working 15 hrs a day,sharing all if not most of your commisions....and QUIT in six months

2.If you want to just learn about investing in the stock markets...read read read as many books,newspapers,articles,websites,forums as you can...rinse and repeat as often as possible,,,and ASK questions to friends with some experience in the market,other investors,post q's on various forums,consult a professional if you know one,etc

3.As you get familiar with how the markets work...start to paper trade(its not ANYWHERE like the real thing)...but you will get a sense of stock picking,diff. market sectors,buying/selling at certain price levels,having a very basic understanding of P+L's....and simultaneously watch/listen to the varios financial shows(just watching the ticker is fun in the beginning) and learnig the various symbols of each stock,listening about any companies you can,understanding how certain events effect markets,etc...rinse and repeat

4.When/IF you feel comfortable enough to dip your toe into REAL money investing....find a discount broker,ask as many questions about their policies/rules/deposit minimums/maintainace fee's requirements....and start SLOWLY.

5. As a beginner...DO NOT USE MARGIN/or play with options...until you have a thorough understanding of the consequences,losses,margin calls,associated interest rates with margin accounts,etc....and even afterwards I would make a strong arguement against it

6.Always have a game plan ......but one of the most important issues is an EXIT stratagy everytime you enter a postion or trade.Cutting your losses EARLY, is critical in even having a CHANCE at this game

7.OH and BTW.....You will NEVER MASTER the markets....so dont even try to [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

GL,
Stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

*** This is VERY basic,and there are SOOO many other things I can write about,but I am sure other experienced members will chime in as well....buts its a decent start at least