View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Conservative Definition of Freedom

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I am free to pursue whatever I consider to be my goal, then that is freedom. If someone else decides, I am, by definition, not free.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is very well put. Obviously this means there's no perfect freedom, but that's ok. Some goals are more acceptable than others.

Consider:
Person A: His goal is to kidnap young girls and rape them
Person B: His goal is to have gay sex with a different partner every night

I have no problem imposing my morality on Person A and restricting his liberty to pursue his goals.

Santorum, in addition, has no problem imposing his morality on Person B, by exactly the same rationale (in his mind).

Is there a fundamental difference in our attitudes? Or is it just a matter of degree? I'm not sure, but I hope it's the former, since I consider myself to be reasonable, and Santorum to be a judgmental, moralistic douche.

We've all got a set of behaviors/goals that we consider to be not just unappealing but flat-out unacceptable. I think Santorum's set is very large, and my set is very small and just right. But certainly somebody somewhere might think my set is very large and would call me a judgmental douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are overestimating the difference between your set and Santorum's, because you happen to disagree with his politics.