View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: The Well: TheMetetron

[ QUOTE ]
What languages do you speak fluently? Is it a neccesity to speak the language of the country you live in? Or can you get by using only english in a city like Paris?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only speak English truly fluently. I speak Spanish at what I'd consider an advanced intermediate level. I can do just about anything I need to in this country and can read / listen to fairly advanced Spanish, but in an in-depth conversation I flounder. I'm just not comfortable having conversations and it is my biggest problem with Spanish at the moment.

I also speak beginner Danish & Italian, but I'm currently working on getting the Italian to an intermediate level in the next year before I move to Florence.

In Buenos Aires, I'd be fine moving here without knowing Spanish (and I did) but the desire to want to learn the language is essential to enjoying your time here.

In Paris, I'd imagine the same is true. As a tourist, I got by fine with people speaking English to me. If I intended to stay there for several months I'm sure I'd find it 100x more rewarding to attempt to learn the language.