View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Planning an Ireland Trip for My Father

5 years ago when i was going into my senior year in highschool my entire moms side of the family went to ireland. Some things that i remember that would be helpful:

When we went we stayed in a small town in a mansion where about 20 of us stayed. we had a two cooks and a family took care of cleaning and other duties while we were out.

1) the scenery is amazing and the coffee shops/pubs are awesome.
2) the driving will probably be the most difficult if driving in the US is hard for your dad. When we took trips to the desired location we wanted to see we had to drive big SUVs on small winding roads in sometimes very difficult conditions. Obviouly you wouldnt need big vans but the driving can be very dangerous. We rented 4 vans and by the end of the trip 3 of the 4 vans had been damaged, one busted tire, several mirrors knocked off by rocks goign through tight tunnels. So him driving i would not recommend.

My suggestion would be to have them go to a bed and breakfast, and then have them pick out a few places that they would want to visit / sightsee. The best day was when we hired a tour guide to take us around the countryside.

we did seem to spend a lot of time driving to and from locations but that was because the good golf courses werent close to where we were.
hope this helps