View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Why are value investor types so rigidly opposed to TA?

[ QUOTE ]
I buy and sell based on pretty basic TA but very little of my time is spent staring at the chart. It works and has worked satisfactorily for me so far and has been proven to be robust during testing.

So what is your definition of TA?

[/ QUOTE ]

The classical definition would probably refer to drawing trend lines and looking for classic chart patterns representing the footprints of the bulls and bears.

I've tried this, but it's too subjective and you need some serious discipline and emotional control to be successful. If you think/want/hope the market will go up then the trendlines you draw will have an upward slant and you'll probably look for bullish patterns.

I am only concerned with price and not value. Put simply, I plug the EOD data into a spreadsheet and this filters out 1 of 3 positions (long/short/aside), creates trading channels, entry/exit points, sizes positions (and whether my account can afford the position's risk), and suggests stops. I don't need a chart to do this, but I use the chart for some creative input which on the whole is probably -EV. Without this creative input however, trading would be just too boring.