View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the inclusion of Catherine Hanaway. Somehow having a prosecutor in an ongoing case concerning online gambling that might be affected by the WTO decision rubs me the wrong way.
First, the bias is obvious. Also, Skall, could she not prejudice the defendants in the BetOnSports case? I would not have expected any of the participants in that case to be testifying before Congress while the case is still open and active.

[/ QUOTE ]

She used to be the Republican Speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives as well. Prior to that, she ran "F" rated U.S. Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond's district office in St. Louis in the early 1990s.

[ QUOTE ]
LEGISLATIVE STANDS Hanaway's legislative record reflects her conservative beliefs. She has voted with the anti-abortion camp, earning the endorsement of Missouri Right to Life. In debate, she tried to amend a school safety bill to require a shortened version of the Ten Commandments in every Missouri classroom. She has also opposed collective bargaining for public employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
The Guardian says that Hanaway (42) led George Bush's presidential campaign in Missouri and was rewarded by the White House with the US attorney's job even though she had not practised criminal law for a decade. Her previous role was as the first woman speaker of the Missouri house, where some Democrats described her as "contentious" and "bludgeoning". One electoral opponent dubbed her "the bully of Jefferson City".

[/ QUOTE ]