View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Inherently good?

OK, so this thread is basically an extension of the thread 'If Jesus is the son of God, then I'll go to heaven' By Einbert (I think). Basically my point is that we all believe we live a good life and do what is 'right'.

Well that's not actually my entire point, it's a bit more subtle, and expansive, than that.

I remember watching a Matt Damon film, 'The talented Mr Rpley,' I think. There is a line in it - 'Nobody thinks they're a bad person.' And it struck a chord with me for some reason. I mean who would believe they had lead an unjust life, because they are judging it by their own standards, which are obviously skewed by their own moral judgement system, that obvioulsy lead their decision making.

So, expanding on that. If you believe that heaven/hell, or, heaven/nothing, or, nothing/hell or any other combination you care to think of.. Then you cannot have any idea wether or not you will get in.

The only arguement I have heard that let's us make any kind of decision about where we go, is that faith is the decider.

So, that leads me to the following (admittedly incomplete, unexpanded) conclusions. (All assuming there is a judgement based afterlife) Either they are faith based, in terms of the selection procedure, or there is nothing I can do about it , regarding how I live, as good and bad is too subjective. If 60% of the population get in, then I have 60% chance regardless of how I live, as we all believe ourselves to be good.