View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
golfnut i don't mean to be a dick here but it sounds like you went down the road of pro poker player and failed and now you think everyone else will too but you are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never been a poker pro. Have played for many hours and once I relied on it heavily while semi-employed. But the most I have ever won was $5k a month. I don't feel comfortable playing bigger stakes.

I have been 'following' poker for 18 years (geez, half my life!). I have seen these posts over and over and over and becoming a poker pro. Escalated during the online era. And I have personally known a few who have gone down that route, profited wildly, only to have a severe downturn and then go into serious depression.

It is only my dumb opinion that becoming a poker a pro in your 20's is super -EV. You are much better off getting a job for 10 years, developing a skill, a network, etc. and then take your shot when you have something to fall back on. It is not only that failed poker pros have nothing to fall back on, but their concept of money is incredibly skewed. Making $1,000 a week for having to be in an office for 40 hours a week sounds like hell for someone used to waking up whenever they want.

Of course, YMMV. And I don't wish failure on anyone in the world. It is just pure mathemtatics that most will fail.

Cheers