View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

some people need security, stable pay, piece of mind and some people need risk, adventure and never knowing what tomorrow may bring. thats just how people are. you do not have to work 50 hours a week for security either. get a phd you can just be a student for the rest of your life publishing crap no one reads for a steady paycheck. my mentor in graduate school was on campus two days a week for six hours and at home writing a book for the rest for a nice salary of 85k in lovely NC.

golfnut i don't mean to be a dick here but it sounds like you went down the road of pro poker player and failed and now you think everyone else will too but you are wrong. just because you like security, steady pay, and piece of mind for your upcoming kids doesn't mean others do too. my grandfather went broke in business for himself three times with four kids before he finally got it right with a service station convenience store which has been running since 1954 and has more then kept my dad's family well off. my grandfather use to always say that no matter what happens the most important thing is learning how to get up once you failed and try again.

also you cannot be scared to try something you feel is right either. i have a masters degree but i plan on not using and playing poker for now cause working for city government doesn't pay all that much even in the longterm. yes i may fail at playing poker and i may never make it to HSNL or MSNL for that matter but i bet i can make a decent living from it and when i get tired of it i guarantee i can go into business for myself whether it be a cstore like my family or a hotel, or electrical contracting with my brother in law. all that matters is that i will be able to get up when i fail and try again.

on the subject of kids, you can play poker and support a family it is not that difficult. it really is not much different then running your own business however some people cannot stomach that their entire family's future is riding on their sole ability to be successful. they had much rather settle for a steady paycheck in exchange for shifting that burden to someone else or some company which is all you are doing by working for someone or some company. i think this is what golfnut has come to realize in himself but he doesn't realize that this is not for everyone but it is for the vast majority. he is just on the wrong forum to find that majority.

i wish you all luck in your future endeavors whatever they may be. i also urge each of you to find what kind of person you are as identified in this post and make sure you take that route in your pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.

Mr_Pathetic