View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Moral relativity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Morals are defined by the society you live in. There is no absolute standard that they follow. Most have developed in a particular society to be beneficial for the common good. When one society's morals differ enough from another's, war sometimes breaks out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your personal morals any better or worse than my personal morals? To be able to say yes you have to give reference to an external method of verification I don't accept "because I say so".

[/ QUOTE ]

If my morals are better for the society that I live in to peacefully coexist than yours then the answer is yes. Society decides. If your morals allow for murder and mine don't, then I suspect mine would be deemed better than yours by the rest of the society.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your objective external standard is "society"? Like if you add up lots of little subjectivities it becomes objective? I'm not saying I disagree because I'm genuinely trying to clarify my own position here (I've got some agenda with the question but not completely) How do you define society? I assume it's not a 51% majority or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't confuse society with form of government. Many different societies exist. The definition of society can be found easily online and I agree with the most common definitions. Societies have evolved many forms of governments in order to have their moral value system followed. In some societies 51% can force their views on others, in others they may not be able to do that if it violates someone rights. In others, it is more pragmatic.