View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Gobboboy has opinions too!

[ QUOTE ]
so ppl folding to you is good?
apposed to trying to make moves on you?
are call you down light?

I dont think either one is better than the other. All 3 (tight, regular, aggressive) are the same IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my (admittedly limited) experience from playing with hellmuth deep in the event he eventually won, he would constantly make very small raises pf, followed up by VERY small bets on postflop streets. these bets would get enormous amounts of respect and people would play very straightforward against him because they knew that if they did something phil considered wrong, he was going to publicly shame them for their bad play. this was much more true of amateur players than the experienced players at the table, who didn't care. for experience, while i was there, jon turner (pearljammer online) absolutely ran hellmuth over.

amateurs are often a lot more concerned with being thought of as good players than they are with actually being good players. this is why you see people take 5 minutes after every hand they play to explain to you and anyone else that will listen exactly why they did what they did.

edit: also, i just wanted to say, that his style is definitely effective, given his persona. he's a smart guy and he's good at tournaments. i just don't think that any serious poker player would rank phil in like... the top 100, maybe not the top 500 cash game players in the world. certainly not online, where his people-reading skills (which are probably underestimated by most online guys) aren't there to make up for his poor/outdated fundamentals.