View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Is betting the river here a spew or value ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never saw him bet bluff, but saw him raise bluff many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then obviously your intention of bet/folding is horrible.

Look, there's nothing wrong with betting rivers for value. Where you go wrong is coming up with crazy plays. Any play here that has you folding is the wrong play. Either don't fold, or pick a different line.

If you're inclined to fold if you bet, then don't bet. See a showdown and try to win the pot.

I'm not saying if you check and then there's a bet and a check/raise you should call. I'm saying betting with the intention of folding to a single raise is a really bad way to play the river.

Some of the posters on this forum get way too caught up on fancy play syndrome. This hand is not about the river. When thinking of value betting the rive, we're talking about small percentages of a single bet EV one way or the other. Why are we even talking about this when the pot is 17 BB? Any decision you make about value betting is completely dwarfed by the pot size. If you're unsure or concerned or worried about making a mistake if you bet and are raised, then don't bet - just check. It doesn't matter, it's a few pennies of EV one way or the other. Your question in this hand should not be "what is the EV of value betting the river?", your question should be "how can I avoid making an expensive mistake here?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really great post.