View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: 10/20 River Decision with Broadway

I generally agree with Proofrock in that the four-bet is going to be 99 and 44/100 pure nuts. If we get four-bet and our opponent is not a raving looney, our hand is beaten 100% of the time, period.

I still would absolutely 3-bet/call.

If this was the last hand of poker I played ever, 3-bet/fold would be the best play. But assuming it's not, in this extremely uncommon situation I will quite happily flush that 1BB right down the crapper just to avoid being seen folding in this pot.

The last thing you want in a good game is to give the impression that you carefully consider every action and are capable of folding a apparently terrific 2nd best hand on the river for one bet closing the action.

I try to win money in poker mostly by predicting what my mediocre opposition will do in every situation. If even one usually passive and predictable opponent observing this hand suddenly realizes that I can be folded just by putting in decisive action at the right times, the future pots I will likely give up before I realize his epiphany may well cost a lot more than that crying call.

If your mission is poker is to amaze everyone at what an incredible player you are, by all means fold to the four-bet. If you want to be thought of as merely mortal, which I consider more profitable, then call and shrug when he flips the nuts.