View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: ***uNL Microbrew Thread*** NOV 2007 (ot)

[ QUOTE ]
wow I suck at poker, am now down for the last two months since I started playing cash games after being up a ton...and I think I've only gotten better as a player...really scary

[/ QUOTE ]

This same thing happened to me in September. I hit a 24 BI downswing that was REALLY sick and I started doubting my abilities as a poker player while at the same time felt like I was playing some of my best poker.

My advice: Take a break. A few days, a week, whatever feels right. You need to get out of your current mentality so that you can start playing again with a "clean slate."

If you play 6-9 tables, focus on 3-5. Break down each hand, talk to yourself (like "I'm raising on the button with T8o because both blinds are very tight and don't seem to 3bet at all.") When you talk through your actions, you'll be surprised at how much better you play.

If you usually play a LAG style, tighten up for a little while and play nitty 15/13.

Also, make sure you're considering a decent sample size. If your last 2 months consist of 10-20k hands, don't worry about it. In a 40k month, I often have 10-20k hand runs of losing poker.