View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

I think its going to take the actual IP sanctions to get something moving. This session of Congress is about to wrap up. Draft legislation to simply comply with the WTO ruling should be being worked on FOR NEXT YEAR. Not a bill to regulate and tax, but one to back off criminalizing it. I am giving up on having an iMega ruling on the TRO at all before the hearing, I had hoped we would. Congress won't be in session again to work till Jan when the WTO decision is handed down. God knows the the Bushfuck administration won't be working all to implement a ruling.
So if asked what we should be doing we should be telling Congress to leverage the executive to make a deal with Antigua, and be prepared to back it up with legislation to decriminalize offering gaming services from locations where gaming is legal. Force states that offer gaming to not erect monopolies or criminalize players using the Commerce and Supremacy clauses. Antigua has offered that route, ban all gaming in a state and they won't push, and thats beyond where I think the WTO would go if they have to rule. Im not sure what carrots there are to offer up as a bone to the psuedoChristians, except a compulsive player tax, treatment taxes, and age verification. If we can make some Senators see immediacy, they may opt for a common sense compromise where they can get some perceived concessions. Rangel is in the Caribbean now and should be familiar with what it takes to comply with the WTO. Im still not sure anyone beyond 4 or 5 Reps are taking this seriously.