View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Hand reading and trend importance.

[ QUOTE ]
Good points. One problem I have with your play is the overall hand range of villian. Do you have that many hands that you know that he never limps with a big pair (especially early, hoping for some play in late position that thinks he always pushes pp's so now he can't have one to raise him for isolation... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't have that many hands on him. But since he's busted out at $5.00 3 times so far pushing pocket pairs, and double up twice as well, he's certainly on a trend to push any pocket pair, so I believe my read is good here.

[ QUOTE ]
Next, Based on the possibilty of above and him being short I'm not sure you have the right odds to try to isolate him with such a week holding? You'll miss the flop about 2/3rds of the time. If you C-bet with air in this spot you're pretty much committing yourself to calling if he pushes (Pot would be about 7.5 and you need to put in about 2, or 3.75:1 and your probably not that far behind.)

[/ QUOTE ]

He's short because he recently busted out again pushing pockets, and I'm not c-betting with air.

His aggression was pretty readable, limp way too often, bet when he hits, check raise when he misses.

He bets and I fold, he checks and I hit I want money in because I know he has missed. His check raise was expected.

As to the odds of being able to isolate him. As most who play tight find out, sometimes when you get a hand, everyone folds simply because they know you have a hand. You can't always count on everyone being an idiot.

So, we have to add hands to our range in order to get a call or raise when we have something real. Here, I was presented the opportunity to play a very mariginal hand, in a way that could be made profitable based on exploiting the villains tendecies. Because I hadn't raise or played a hand in a few orbits, only huge hands are likely to raise me, (and they liked to limp, not raise).

I have a good chance of taking down the pot pre-flop, and if not being isolated in position against an easy to read player. Plus it allows for more action on my standard hands at the table.