Thread: Ask a frenchman
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
shilly

is it pretty easy/safe to figure out train routes and also finding places to stay, eat, see?

thanks.
fuji

[/ QUOTE ]

Train schedules are very easy to find online, and will be included with your pass if you decide to buy one.

Keep in mind that you need to make a reservation on most trains that run between major hubs--this usually requires a small supplement (around 10 Euros), and should be done one or two days in advance. While trains might not be the cheapest way to travel (booking flights far in advance can be incredibly inexpensive), you get the flexibility of changing your plans, seeing the countryside, and the benefit of traveling directly into the city center (whereas most flights arrive pretty far outside of each city).

If you're planning on going with hostels, you shouldn't have trouble booking those a few days in advance, or simply showing up and checking for availability. I use hostelbookers.com, but hostelworld.com is good also. There's lots of options here.

As far as places to eat and things to see, I'd recommend picking up some sort of travel guide for the region that you'll be traveling to. I highly recommend the "Let's Go" series, as it's geared toward younger people/students. I know that there's a Western Europe edition out there. You can also ask your friends, or people you run into during your travels--they tend to give great advice and lead you to places you wouldn't have found on your own.