View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: The showstopper? (XPS M2010)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1680 x 1050

One of the 17"s with 1920x1200 would be much better for poker.

I'd personally recommend the 17" MacBook Pro. I have the XPS M1710, it's pretty nice but not a very good value compared to the cheaper Dell 17", and I'd def prefer the MBP (MBP didn't have 1920x1200 when I bought the XPS).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm weird, so one of the 17" ones has a bigger resolution/more space than this one thats 20.1"? Guess i'll look into those some...

K well I found the one you got: http://www.dell.com/content/products/pro...s=dhs&cs=19
Looks pretty good.. why is the Macbook Pro better?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, the "showstopper" isn't really a good poker laptop.

As for why the MacBook Pro is better: Apple instead of Dell (read hardware reviews for more info), thinner, lighter, looks better (which probably isn't a big deal to you, and not to me either, but my XPS is pretty ugly IMO and the MBP is the nicest looking laptop on the market IMO), can't think of anything else off the top of my head, check product specs for additional differences. They're pretty similar in terms of speed/performance.

Also, if you're interested in hooking it up to a 30" display, you can get a MacBook Pro that can do that (not sure if it's standard or not but I know you can get one that supports it). The XPS doesn't support 30" displays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can your XPS get set up with an external monitor? I wouldn't necessarily need a 30" external but even two 20"'s external would be great. The main thing that turns me off about the macbook pro is that when people were talking in other threads about all these different programs required just to run windows it sounded like a pain in the ass.... I like the fact that windows can run all programs i've ever wanted fine and would be annoyed if having a Mac became a problem.

Also, if I got a laptop that could have external monitors set up to it I would be able to use that instead of my desktop when i'm at home as well.... would keeping it on for like a month straight over heat it? I leave my desktop on sometimes for a month straight and it's never been a problem over the last 5 years or so... can the macbook pro deal with that? Seems like a laptop is more prone to die if you try something like that