View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: ******** November Omaha Low Content Thread ********

I don't know anything about you, Janelle, but I would like to seriously caution you from thinking about moving out based on a good tournament run. It feels good, but you cannot start expecting to win every tournament you play, and the fact that you're really upset about having not cashed in the tournament yesterday suggests a limited understanding of your actual expectation.

Playing $5 tournaments with 100 player fields, your expectation can't be more then $50 a shot, and that is /insanely/ optimistic. That you've gotten a clump of good results does not in any way indicate that you should expect to consistently be winning such events.

I'm not sure about your history, but unless you've been studying omaha aggressively over a few hundred thousand hands, it seems unrealistic that you would have the sort of advantage over the average player that you may at this point believe you have.

I think before you start considering supporting yourself playing poker you play recreationally for another year, and stick with school. You don't have any obligation to share your hobbies with your Father, but I would suggest keeping them hobbies; build yourself a little bankroll, take care not to overextend it, and keep learning the game, but remember that poker is something you do for fun, not for food. With luck you may be able to get yourself into the enviable position where you have a well balanced life that happens to include a few thousand dollars a year in you make on the side doing something you enjoy.

Do not, do not, do not let your short-term results go to your head. That said, best of luck, and I hope you keep your run going.