View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Douchiest single piece of clothing

[ QUOTE ]
Has Che died?
Yes, Che has died.
Am I implying that I think he is still alive when I say he has died?

Has Che accomplished some things?
Yes, Che has accomplished some things. This doesn't imply that he is still around. He doesn't need to be alive for it to be true that he has done something in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

The present perfect is a tense that indicates events or situations that have happened in the recent past and have a corresponding effect on the present. You use the present perfect to talk about people who are still alive.

For example;

John Grisham has written many books, (unfortunately.) This implies not only that he has written many books, but that he can still write more books if he wants.

Hemmingway wrote many books. This implies that Hemmingway wrote many books in the past but he no longer has the possibility of writing more as he is dead. This tense is known as the past simple and is used for people who are in fact dead, such as, I don't know, some random South American revolutionary.

If you still don't believe me just check out the definition of the present perfect.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to be grammar nits, at least be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may regret writing this. By the way, I've been teaching English as a second language for six years now.

Sorry for the thread hijack.