View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Dealer contributes to confusion... Floor please!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the clarification (between third and fourth) depends on whether you consider the nuts the best possible hand considering the board (out of ALL possible hands) or the best possible hand currently involved in the hand (terribly worded, I know, but hopefully understandable).

[/ QUOTE ]

The nuts are defined by the board. That's it. When shown a board, the nuts, 2nd nuts, 3rd nuts, etc. can be determined. There is no issue about "well i had the such and such card, therefore the nuts is this".

Think about it. TV hand. We "see" four different players fold an ace preflop. On the end the board is K Q J T 2 (rainbow). One player is holding a 9 and bets. Should the announcer proclaim "Player X is betting the nuts."? Or better yet, a player with air bets and the player holding the 9 folds. Should the announcer declare "what a donkey, player X just folded the nuts."?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand if the board reads 99884 and I hold 98 I would say that I had the nuts. Even though until you see my hand you would likely say the nuts was 99.