View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: The dealer said I couldn\'t do it

Some people need to get a grip. In the OP's story, the entire transaction was done in <15 seconds, and we're talking about $5 in a game that features $150 bets.

Why can't people think? When that urge to cry out about a possible infraction of a technicality overcomes them, why can't they take a second before speaking and think, "Geez, it's five bucks, and it's none of my business--why should I care?"

Unrelated story to illustrate my point: Room I work in is paying a $100 bonus to any player who makes quads, as long as he uses both his hole cards. Player turns up K5 on a 555K2 board. Instead of pushing the pot, I stop everything to call the floorman over confirm the bonus hand. Another player not involved in the pot decides he wants to argue about it:

JACKASS: That's not a bonus hand! The rules say that you need a pocket pair in the hole!

ME: No sir, that's not correct. Both cards must play, but a pocket pair is not necessary.

JACKASS: You're wrong!

ME: (shrug. I'm not going to repeat myself. He heard me clearly. I'm ignoring Jackass)

JACKASS: (gets up to go check the rules--can you imagine that? Returns, rules in hand) You're right, both cards must play. But his kicker doesn't play!

ME: (checks the board again) Sure it does.

JACKASS: No it doesn't!

ME: (lower my voice to counter Jackass' frenzied emotional voice) What do you care whether or not he gets paid a bonus?

JACKASS: (blinks hard. Instantly realizes that he has no standing in this. Leans back in his chair and sits out the rest of the transaction while Quad Boy gets paid his bonus.)