View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen says High Stakes Poker is fake? (x-post from t.v.)

[ QUOTE ]

In comparison, I do question PAD. They must have deals made ahead of time, etc. There is NO EMOTION on there EVER. There is TV drama, but no emotions tied to the cards. Plus in reading so many of their books, blogs etc. what makes the WSOP so great is the EXACT opposite of PAD. Huge fields of fish versus 6 sharks, WINNER TAKE ALL?!?!?! Seriously?! Who would get in this game repeatedly without a greater respect for the winners. Hansen has 3 WPT titles, Doyle, Chan and Helmuth are sick with their 31 WSOP bracelets, but if PAD is legit, from top to bottom, I am more impressed with these winners ESPECIALLY at super tough tables. Not to beat this horse more, but how many times have you heard pros talk about what a bad table they drew at this tournament or the next, those are, with exception for the big HORSE tourney, for much less than the $20,000 or $50,000 required for PAD. AND THIS IS WINNER TAKE ALL, alledgedly.

I say HSP real, PAD questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by deals you mean that they make deals on the side that second will get a piece of the 120k or even third gets their money back i believe this kind of deal is possible.

the fact that there is no huge emotions involved is that the pad format is much more similar to a sit n go than a long form tournament. i think that the players view the pad game as more similar to a prop bet than a real test of their poker tournament acumen.

i have a real problem with all these accusations of collusion. most of the players involved take pride in what they do. they want acknowledgment from the masses of their expertise. they wouldn't put that at jeopardy. because, if you run a scam long enough.. at some point a member of the "crew" will feel cheated, and when that happens they will run their mouth and before long the whole scam is made public knowledge.

i don't want to believe that scotty would lie about the HSP format. perhaps the woman who told OP this story exaggerated to look important. either way. i'm not buying any of this.