View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Style and stats for 0.02/0.04?

[ QUOTE ]
one of the most basic rules of hold'em is that you strive to play the opposite style of what the majority of your table is using.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking that this adage is a little too general when it comes to playing loose opponents. I don't agree with the philosophy of playing super-tight against super-loose opponents. Instead, I think you just want to play tighter than your loose opponents...which still could be somewhat loose overall. If you're up against opponents seeing 45% of the flops, then if you play as much as 22%, you're still playing only half their range.

My issue with the "when they're loose play tight" thing is that it suggests that you should tighten up quite a bit when the game is loose.

Also, their play post-flop will be so bad that you might want to start thinking about different opportunities to get into hands with some of these players rather playing an ultra-tight game.

On the topic of poor post-flop play, I'm also not convinced that you won't collect heaps of chips with TPTK. If you're constantly going up against players who call when they shouldn't be calling, your TPTK pots will be bigger when you win them. This should more than compensate for the times when you're sucked out on.

My only suggestion would be to pay attention to table conditions, and if the tables are in fact loose and passive, play suited aces, suited connectors and pocket pairs in early position even if these are hands that you might muck in the same position at higher levels. I'd also probably be willing to coldcall with PPs if I felt other people would be coldcalling, too.