View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

I tweaked my shins by doing 2 days of speedwork in a week about 10 days ago..which was dumb of me to do so I havent run since..My mistake was not just to do 2 days of speedwork but also up my weekly mileage a bit too much. The upside of that is my PT workouts are killing it up to 6 sets of 10 pullups,25 situps/crunches or roman chairs whatever I feel like doing for abs and 25 pushups-all supersetted usually do it 35 minutes M,W,F.

Cant beleive how much stronger I feel. I had added chinups for a couple weeks doing like another 3 sets of 10 but I broke a rib 2 months ago surfing and whenever I do alot of chinups my ribcage still gets sore. Too bad ..guess I need to wait another month or two. I had a nasty rib injury was useless for 7 weeks. The commando pullups are fun too and dont hurt my rib. One issue that a friend has helped me with ie pullups is really focusing on your stabilizers(core) when doing pullups ..so that you avoid swinging this makes pullups much easier..I still swing a bit on last few reps but I'm in much more control.

Anyways I did run that 5K about 2 weeks ago and only did a 8:55 pace but first time I ran a 5K in 12 years.

Right now I'm swimming about 12K-15K meters weekly, doing PT and stretching regularly ..also doing a lot of core work ie planks and ab workouts.

Thinking about swimming 50 meter and 100 meter in 45-49 age group in some local Masters meets..luckily some new guy at my gym is now teaching Masters workouts..he was an All-American and placed top 5 in 50meter free and top 20 in 100 meter free in FINA World Masters..iow a world class sprinter for his age..37.My goal is to break 28 in the 50 and 1:00 in the 100 ..not too far from either currently would land me in middle of my age group. I occasionally battle exercise-induced asthma type crap so I need to backdown occasionally.

Anyways I'm glad I'm reading this forum and getting a feel what you younger guys are doing these days.

I looked up Crossfit and there is a guy up in Melbourne FL doing some stuff...I think I may possibly start to lift again either doing just basic compound exercises or more dryland training for swimming.
Also going to add dips to PT as soon as I can can get to a higher number of pushups..30 vs 25 for 6 supersets. that whole PT workout is from an 18-week Navy Seal Workout from bb.com. It has taken my ~3 months to get up to ~8th week...except of course the running which I'm too slow to keep up w/ an 8:30 pace for 15-20 miles a week..

another tip if you want to increase your ability to do more reps in you pullup/chinup/pushup sets try doing a max set first. About a month ago I started to really plateau and a pal told me I needed to mix up my workouts by doing diffrent types of stuff ie pushups using knuckles, just fingers-which is deathly hard, close grip-to work your tris more, etc.
try doing max sets if you get stale.