View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Raising question? Rules?

I play mostly no limit holdem, both cash and tournaments, but the other week the regulars decided instead of a second tournament, we would play some wild cards. Stakes are irrelevant, as is the game in question, but . . . . .

The betting structure was 1 - 5 units with a maximum three raises.

Player A bets 5 units.
Player B raises 1 unit.

I know with no limit, you have to raise what is coming to you, so if A bets 5 you would have to raise 5, just call or fold. This player who has played more wild card games than the rest of us, said it was legit, it allows a player to control the amount of money going into the pot.

For example:
Player A bets 5
Player B raises 1
Player C raises 5
Player A raises 5
betting is then capped, with a total of 48 units in the pot and 16 units from each player. Compare this to:

Player A bets 5
Player B calls
Player C raises 5
Player A raises 5
Player B calls
Player C raises 5
betting is then capped, with a total of 60 units in the pot and 20 units from each player.

Now I said the game and the limits do not matter, the limits still don't but the game was 7 - 27, where players can freeze for a round and not take a card, but betting occurs after EVERY table round that a card is offered to every player. The pots GET HUGE, and actually limiting the amount of units going in with a 3 raise max, actually made sense, YET goes against EVERYTHING I am used to with regards to NO-Limit.

Anyone know if this not raising what is coming to you is legit?