View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Oblivion (and the Morrowind series in general):

These games could be so incredible with a major rebalancing and getting rid of all the broken spells (invisibility - THANK YOU FOR GETTING RID OF LEVITATE AT LEAST) and lame repetitive quests and lame repetitive monsters they use to fill a lame repetitive world and their 5 types of lame repetitive dungeons. I actually do like the games, and plan on buying the expansion - but they could be just so much better than they are. I really prefer quality over quantity. I'd much prefer a dozen challenging, well balanced and interesting places to explore than the 1000 clones of crap Oblivion offers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll redirect this rant towards Oblivion's combat system. This game would be 1000x better if there was any method of skill to it at all instead of just button mashing until the random number generator decided to give you a hit. If I were designing the next Elder Scrolls, I'd steal Fight Night's control scheme, pretty much the only well designed aspect of that game, and modify it for melee combat. Flick up to your weapon side, and you'll stab with the sword. Make a slashing motion, and you'll slash your sword. Use the right trigger to initiate a blocking sequence, and then moving the stick up and down would use either your shield or your weapon to block an enemies attack, depending on which side you flicked the stick. Holding the left trigger would have you move your body around using the left stick to try and dodge an enemies attack. When I played Oblivion, it just felt incomplete, like they had went to all the trouble to create this massive world and then tacked on a combat system straight from 1995, and I could never get into the game because I want to feel like I control my character's fate, not the random number generator. This wouldn't ruin the RPG aspect, make me stronger, faster, able to deal more damage as I leveled up, but fix the damn combat system.