View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: How good is the average golfer at a private course?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NFG research says only 22% of male golfers can break 90 inconsistently, and 7% for women

[/ QUOTE ]

22%? there's no way 22% of male golfers have EVER broken 90.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take two things into account - people were probably able to self-select as to whether they were "golfers", which throws out a huge number of hacks either out of honesty or out of embarrassment, also consider the casual interpretation of the rules applied by many golfers. Given those things, I have no problem believing that 22% of male golfers can claim to have broken 90.

On the subject at hand, my home club has a preponderance of decent but not great players. Almost no scratch or better players, but a ton of guys who are in the 6-14 range. Our regular Saturday group is all in that range, with couple of higher numbers - an 18, a 22 and a 24. They fit in fine. Both our weekend game and most club events are handicapped and/or flighted, so everyone has a chance to play similar-ish competition. There are quite a few members who I don't play with regularly, many of whom have higher handicaps.

I'd guess our average is 16 or so, but that may be affected by being a pure golf club - no pool or other social stuff.