View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Earth is unique and just right for humans indicates a divine plan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is unfair. We have no evidence upon which we can formulate any estimate save that abiogenesis has occured once. Add to this the fact that many evolutionary biologists believe that abiogenesis only occured once on Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not understand large numbers? If you think the chances of abiogenesis are 0 come out and say it. I'll say it's greater than 0 because it happened once already, and from what we have seen life finds a way. If it isn't 0 then chances are really good that it has happened somewhere else because of the size of the cosmos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand really small numbers? If the lifetime odds for abiogenesis for any given planet are the same as the odds of a unique shuffle of a deck of cards then, universe wide, we're stunningly lucky and likely alone.

There exists only ~10^81 baryons. Not so many when you divide by 10^67.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I get really tiny numbers, and big numbers win because the really small numbers you are talking about are indistinguishable from zero. So have some guts and say you think the chances of abiogenesis are zero or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever I think, the odds remain the same and as I write this they are unknown.